We want ALL pupils to develop the confidence, skills and values needed to live as happily and independently as possible; contributing to society as respectful citizens with a strong sense of belonging to their community.
The curriculum is designed so that it:
- Encourages and enables pupils to express preferences, communicate needs, make choices, make decisions and choose options that other people act on and respect
- Is sequenced according to pupils’ individual needs, their starting points and their long term goals
- Develops enjoyment of learning, using a creative approach, encouraging high levels of achievement and attainment
- Is delivered within a climate for learning that is positive, stimulating, challenging, motivating, rewarding, fun/enjoyable
- Enables pupils to interact and communicate effectively with a wide range of people
- Recognises and encourages individual talents; having the highest expectations of each pupil through personalised learning programmes linked to their Education, Health and Care Plans
- Increases pupils’ awareness and understanding of their environment and the world
- Develops personal self-confidence and self-esteem based on a variety of successful experiences
- Prepares pupils to play an active role as citizens; developing a healthy, safe lifestyle; developing good relationships and respecting differences between people
- Prepares pupils for an adult life in which they have the greatest possible degree of autonomy.